Monday, May 19, 2014

Inspired!

The Fancy Pony is a wonderful creature!  She is willing, forgiving, and above all, tolerant.  However, like many of us, she has her own baggage…

THE HISTORY:
Once upon a time, Fancy Pony ran with all of the other foals her age.  One by one, the others left, and she was left all alone.  When I say alone, I mean that she was the only foal left her age.  She was surrounded by the rest of the herd, which included other horses of all ages – including the ‘old mustang mare’ who taught her everything she knows about how to be top dog horse…

THE TRAUMA:
Fancy Pony was distraught that her bestest of friends left her.  She was sure that they must have sailed off the ends of the earth to their certain demises…  She spent a good chunk of time (measurable in weeks) being uncatchable by one of the savviest horsewomen I know.

THE BAGGAGE:
In large open spaces (sometimes even in the small space of her paddock), Fancy Pony will sometimes refuse to be caught until she is herded and cornered.  When she is finally caught by these methods, she is tense and ready to flee at the slightest provocation.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I follow Bad Eventer and have been mesmerized at the unfolding of THE PLAN (parts 1, 2 and 3).

The turn-around in Klumsy is just incredible!  I want to have THAT tool available for the horses that I work with!

I have a good grasp on Operant Conditioning, I think.  I have created or changed associations for my pets based on conditioning theories.  I have even applied them to my horse.  The Old Man would come *GALLOPING* from the back of the pasture if he heard my whistle.  All I had to do was stand at the gate and wait.  I allowed him to associate coming to the whistle with dinner.  I have never applied this theory with the clicker.  I wanted guidance on how and where the clicker fit in.  Thanks to some helpful people on the internet, I was directed to some great DOG training sites that talked in detail about clicker training, and a light went on for me!  Suddenly, I could see some real possibilities!  So, I did what any knowledge-hungry student would do…  I immediately bought a clicker and started priming all the animals around me!

While I was priming Fancy Pony to the clicker, I only clicked if she was standing perfectly still in the cross-ties… Suddenly, she went from shifting occasionally to standing like a rock.  At attention.  Square.

An opportunity came to let Fancy Pony run around like a wild beast in the outdoor arena.  I jumped on it!  While she was left to run free, I walked up to her to touch her and try to teach her that I’m not trying to catch her *every* time I approach.  She quivered, but she stood and let me just pet her neck.  I walked away, and she went back to racing around like a thing possessed.

When it was time to catch her for real, I grabbed a few treats for one pocket, and my clicker for the other.  I admit that I was a little discouraged when she walked away from me.  Twice. Neither time did she even look at me.  Finally, she stood at a halt and gave me 2 eyes and 2 ears.  I clicked the clicker!

I took 2 steps toward her, and she took 2 steps toward me. *Click*

I stood still, and she took 2 more steps toward me.  *Click*

I remained still, and she took 4 more steps toward me.  *Click*

Four more steps, and she was in my pocket! *Click*treats*

She stood quiet and relaxed as I threw the rope over her neck and haltered her.  No stress.  It was like magic!

She has always stood and made me come to her, but this time, SHE came to **ME**!
That Bad Eventer…  She might be on to something!

12 comments:

  1. Maybe I need to try this, it sounds like great results!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really helps bridge the gap between the desired behavior and the delivery of the reward! My cat wants to do more clicker training, I just don't know what to teach him... Roll-over, maybe? ;)

      Delete
  2. Woohoo!! I've wondered about clicker training for quite a while... interesting to hear your story (and read Bad Eventer's)! :) Sounds like you're off to a great start.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to challenging Fancy Pony to consistency in the arena, then to larger open spaces! The most amazing part, for me, was the complete lack of stress for her. She gets pretty amped up when she gets to run around like that, but the clicker seems to help her connect the dots and stay on the thinking side of her brain.

      Delete
  3. I have used clicker training with Shy. It has been really successful and she enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see my subjects engage in the learning aspect as opposed to becoming unruly treat-mongers! I would love to hear more about what behaviors you have trained with the clicker!

      Delete
  4. Can you share some of your sources? I've never done anything with clicker training, because I've always just "cut the middleman" and fed treats. That might be incredibly stupid. I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to share! This is my absolute favorite go-to quick-guide: http://pamsdogtraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Navigate-your-way-through-clicker-training.pdf

      This is a more detailed break-down:
      http://www.scallywagsdogs.com/ScallywagsDogs/Images2013/Clicker%20Training.pdf
      Another nice introduction to clicker training:
      http://www.clickerlessons.com/whatis.htm

      I don't think there is anything wrong with "cutting the middleman", and the reward doesn't always need to be a treat! The *click* is the indicator that they are performing the desired behavior and a reward is forthcoming. I can *click* immediately, but I can't deliver treat to mouth anywhere near that fast. And in the case of catching FP, I can't deliver the treat from 20 feet away, but the click indicates that she is headed the right direction now that she knows what the click represents!

      Delete
  5. I like it! Well done! I'll have to keep this in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just never know what manner of creativity will come in handy! ;)

      Delete
  6. I'm with you on this. I think we chatted in my blog comments about it. It starts next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night, we had another successful catch with the clicker! I have to wait patiently until she stabds square and LOOKS AT ME, then she gets the first *click*. At that point, something in her brain changes and she **wants** to come to me!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...