Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Canter - Cross-canter - Canter

It's like a canter loop, right?
WRONG!
Not counter-canter where you bend the other direction without changing leads...

We're talking about cantering on the correct lead in front and the wrong lead in back.

That can't be comfortable...
No, it is not comfortable.  Not for me.  Not for the horse.
But Cricket has been insisting that it is the only way she can do it...



She is very stiff through her back, perma-bent to the right, and has no idea how to connect from the outside aids.  So, we work on suppleness...  And seeking connection...  and the outside aids...

And a transformation is happening!  We managed to work up to cantering an entire lap of the outdoor arena!  Except it goes like this:
Canter a stride or two - swap behind for several strides - trot a step and pick up the correct lead again before proceeding around the arena

I find that I have to ever-so-lightly support the bend with my inside rein.  At the same time, I have to open my outside rein away from her body to lead her back toward the rail (without losing the bend).  I have to pulse my inside leg with each stride to keep her from swapping those hinds...  And coach noticed I turn my hips hard to the outside to keep her on the rail...

So much work!!  But, she's getting better at holding the lead...


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...