Monday, April 22, 2013

EVERYBODY knows...

Have you ever lost a horse? This is my first. I know that I am still healing. I expect it will take a while.

Suddenly, everyone knows of a horse that I might want!

Now, anyone who knows me knows that I’m willing to put a leg over anything. They also know that I LOVE to jump! So anything they run across that mentions “jumper” or “eventing prospect” gets sent my way. But, buying a new horse is a commitment. It’s like getting married!!

OK, my gelding outlasted 2 husbands… It’s even bigger than getting married!!

We’re talking about a meeting of minds that develops a trust that we can get each other out of tight spots… a knowledge of each other so thorough that our bodies are in sync before our minds can even comprehend the question… not to mention a horse crazy enough (and sane enough) to jump solid fences that don’t fall down!

For the first time ever, I’m not interested in horse shopping for myself. I am fortunate to have developed a working relationship with the Psycho mare before I lost the Old Man. It provided me with a connecting thread that gave me a reason to continue to frequent the barn and ride. It’s like continuing something I had already started, whereas working with a brand new horse would be like starting from scratch – starting with “the replacement.” The thought of buying a new horse (before the thought of expenses even becomes an issue) puts a lump in my stomach. It obviously isn’t the time, yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...